Breast cancer is a malignant tumor that starts in the cells of the breast. A malignant tumor is a group of cancer cells that can grow into (invade) surrounding tissues or spread (metastasize) to distant areas of the body. The disease occurs almost entirely in women, but men can get it, too.
To understand breast cancer, it helps to have some basic knowledge about the normal structure of the breasts.
Benign Breast Lumps: Fibrosis and Cysts
Most lumps turn out to be caused by fibrosis and/or cysts. Fibrosis is the formation of scar-like (fibrous) tissue, and cysts are fluid-filled sacs. These conditions are most often diagnosed by a doctor based on symptoms, such as breast lumps, swelling, and tenderness or pain. These symptoms tend to be worse just before a woman’s menstrual period is about to begin. The breasts may feel lumpy and, sometimes, one may notice a clear or slightly cloudy nipple discharge.
A biopsy may determine whether a lump is a malignant or benign. Check your breasts regularly for lumps and pumps.
Regular Exercise, Health Care Tips & Preventative Care
- Regular exercise can improve your physical and emotional health.
- It improves your cardiovascular (heart and circulation) fitness.
- Along with a good diet, it will help you get to and stay at a healthy weight.
- It makes your muscles stronger.
- It reduces fatigue and helps you have more energy.
- It can help lower anxiety and depression.
- It can make you feel happier.
- It helps you feel better about yourself.
- And long term, plays a role in helping to lower the risk of some cancers
- Chemoprevention is the use of drugs to reduce the risk of cancer. Several drugs have been studied for lowering breast cancer risk